Friday 14 October 2011

The first couple of months in NZ (PT2)


My intention was to leave early Saturday morning, and get at least as far as Kaikoura, or Picton. The reality was a tad different. Following a bit of a sesh the night before, I woke up a little late, and very hungover. At least I knew a good hitching spot, following a drunken hitch to Karitane with Tamati, following a Saturday night in Dunedin. The slight walk up the hill helped me sober up, and by the time I was flying along State Highway 1 with a couple of lads off to see their in-laws I was almost recovered. I was dropped off in Oumaru, and found Paddy already there, trying to hitch to Christchurch. We decided to hitch up there together, from where I would continue up to Wellington. He had to make Christchurch by 15.45 for a flight ton Wellington, where he was going to watch the All Blacks match. He was already being pushed for time.
 Travelling as two lads I was surprised at how quick and easy we got lifts. In Europe my average waiting time, as a solo hitcher, was probably about an hour - but the longest we had to wait was 45mins or so. We jumped from ride to ride and Paddy was really pushing his luck making his flight in time. But he did make it! He called his friend David, who kindly came out to meet us outside Ashburton and race to the airport. Paddy made his flight with five mins to spare. David kindly offered me the chance to stay at his and watch the night’s rugby – I left three nights later! - Spending a really enjoyable time in South Brighton, Christchurch. We explored Akaroa, watched LOTS of rugby and did a few tours of the Christchurch damage following the recent earthquakes. It’s a shame to see the area still in such bad shape. I also took the chance to meet up with Brad who I’d met in Seoul last year. It was great to catch up over a pint or two. 



Crossing Arthur's pass from Christchurch to the West Coast
David dropped me off at a great spot on the Tuesday morning, and within half an hour I was on the way to the West Coast with Nigel. Nigel was an immensely interesting character, who talked of his travels through Europe and Africa. He thrived on explaining how a fire ceremony in Malawi rid him of all negative thoughts and energy. He had such conviction in his speech it was hard to doubt him. We went to Nigel’s land in Barry town on the West Coast, and I helped him attach his caravan, ready to be sold. He also took in the opportunity to look in on the hippies that are looking after his land at the moment. He had a great location and was looking to permanently move there within a couple of years.

I picked up a couple of rides to Karamea. The last trip an interesting one, with a woman drinking goon and driving at the same time – Not as bad as Mr Boom, the drunken taxi driver in Agra though! 
Karamea

After a couple of days chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool in this rural idyll I decided to hitch to Golden Bay. I’d heard it was a bit of a hippy haven. But I wasn’t quite expecting what was to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment