Thursday 13 October 2011

The first couple of months in NZ (PT1)

The view over Pohara Beach (Nr Takaka), Golden Bay
I'm currently sat over looking Pohara beach, enjoying the last of the evening sunshine, and  felt compelled to write my first 'proper' travel blog - Following a 'sweet as' couple of weeks. So here's my attempt at covering the ups, the downs, and the highlights of the first couple of months (give or take the odd day) in New Zealand. But please don't expect this to be a regular occurence...


All the stories and programmes I had heard or seen on NZ immigration and customs (admittedly not that many) had suggested I'd be in for quite a hard time. So, before arriving, I (not really me, but dad) cleaned my walking shoes, backpack and sleeping bag to rid them of any deadly mud that may try and sneak in. I printed off all my docs and had them all prepared. In the event, none of this was really needed. They were both a breeze, with a slight hiccough around my walking shoes, and I was through them both within half an hour, to forty five minutes of landing. Following a brief acclimatisation and sight seeing expedition in Auckland, I was set for Dunedin - In the cold south.

Upon leaving the airport in Dunedin, and taking the shuttle bus to the YHA (to be my home for the next three or four nights) I got speaking to a couple of passengers who had also been on my flight. Paul was a reporter and informed me that there would be a football match at the new Dunedin stadium the next day. We hastily arranged to meet before the Wellington Vs Brisbane match - Meeting at the Otago cricket club pre match the next day I was delighted to find out a pint was only $5 (£2.50)! Drinks flowed, and before long I somehow found myself at the match. The match was rather dreadful - Brisbane winning 5-1 at the first ever match held there. But the banter was good and the people friendly. Following the match I had my first taste of the Dunedin nightlife; it’s best described as ‘interesting’ - though I did get a taste of snowboarding/skiiing, with an exhibition on in town. The other passenger on the bus was a Liverpool fan born and bred in Kent. Try and understand that!


Football in Dunedin

Ski ramp in Dunedin

 Following a blitz on job agencies and house sharing websites I had pretty much got my little life in Dunedin sorted. Paying $90 a week I was sharing, and drinking with five other lads. The four or five weeks spent there pretty much destroyed my liver, but I had a cracking time sampling the ‘delights’ of Dunedin’s nightlife. I took on a couple of temping jobs, before being placed at a government ministry for three and a half weeks. The office job wasn’t particularly taxing (perhaps you could call it boring), but the cake bake and after work drinks on a Friday were wicked, and the people sound. I made an idiot of myself on more than one occasion though… What’s new?!? ;-)



England Vs Romania. The teams line up for the national anthems.

I also took the chance to see England play a Rugby World Cup match! I still don’t particularly understand the sport, but it was great to see the national team, and hear the national anthem played. I’m definitely not patriotic, but hearing GSTQ sung at the stadium definitely made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. And we thrashed Romania! Though I think it’d be similar to Spain taking on Scotland, Lichtenstein or some other equally inferior team at football – It was pretty much a foregone conclusion before an egg was kicked/thrown/whatever it is they do.
And so, following the end of my contract at the ministry, I decided to hitchhike to Wellington and find myself a new job and house share...

Part two to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment