Sunday 5 February 2012

A Night Under The Stars


I'd been on the Inter Islander ferry three or so months ago - Going the opposite way, upto Wellington to look for work, and a flat share. Now 'm back on it and looking forward to new adventures, exploring the South Island again.

I hadn't an idea where I wanted to go when I first disembarked, so I asked the first few lifts to take me somewhere nice. They did. Three lifts, and one travel companion later, I was in the mountains near Motueka, bedding down for a night under the stars - Just me, my bivvi bag and the wilderness. I was in the middle of nowhere - No cars, no other people, no streetlights - Just me and the clearest night sky I have ever seen! I witnessed multiple shooting stars, and I swear, with each blink of an eye, more stars presented themselves to me. I was so amazed, mesmerised, fascinated, whatever you will, by the sky that, despite the threat of rain, I left the zip on the bag open - Even the many bites I woke up to in the morning couldn't dampen my spirit.

And in the morning, after about 5 or 6 hours sleep I made my way down to the creek - About a minute away from my bed for the night - for fresh drinking water and a wash. I was in heaven! Freezing cold heaven, but heaven all the same!

I spent the next few days hitching rides between rivers and beaches along the north and east coasts; topping up my tan in Kaiteriteri, witnessing seals in the wild on the deserted beaches just outside Kaikoura, and marvelling at Gore Bay's wild waves. I then decided it was time to head to Dunedin - It was time for a beer or six.

My lift to Dunedin was with Cam, a 17yr old lad, who'd just returned to school after the 3month summer/Christmas break! The time flew by as we chatted about the great hikes, fishing and hunting in the Oamaru/Dunedin areas. I was quite envious of all the pursuits Kiwis get up to in the great outdoors.

*Sorry, no pictures - My camera's still good for nothing except drunken pics on a night out*

No comments:

Post a Comment